Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Love at first site.

You know that moment when you look into your newborns face and the love you feel is indescribable? That was what I felt today when looking into John's (aka: Junior's) face. The moment our eyes connected that feeling so quickly returned. He is unbelievably amazing and more. When he saw Barry and I he immediately called us mama and papa and offered us a hug. He actually recognized us from our pictures we sent to him in October.
 - I will say that the journey to get to the orphanage was all but smooth, but our coordinator Patrick got us there in one piece. We were able to go to Lifeline with another family from Denver, Colorado, that are adopting Wenkie, a 5 y.o. He and Junior are like brothers and were excited to ride in the "machine" (creole for car). Barry and I were also able to meet our friend's kids that will be adopted into our church family, along with Junior.  Rob and Teresa's little girl, Roselie (Dashka) and Pastor Steve and Kathryn's little boy Luis (Ernelson).  They are all precious children and we are excited to have a never ending bond with 3 Haitian children from the same orphanage in our community.  God has truly blessed us with that opportunity. It was amazing to see the children in the orphanage and to recognize several from pictures of other adoptive families and files that Barry and I reviewed before deciding to adopt Junior.  I will say that pictures don't do these children justice.  They are all so beautiful.  Not only physically, but in their personalities.  I am praying that all of them will end up with loving families in the United States.  There are several that have families and several that are still waiting for paperwork in order to be assigned to a family.  -We were able to meet Mama Nicole, the founder of Lifeline orphanage.  She went to college in Kentucky and God called her home to Haiti along with her Pastor husband to start an orphanage.  I am glad that God did because she has been a tremendous influence in Junior's life and literally saved him from dying.  Junior was brought to the orphanage by police officer's whom found him on the steps of the police station at 5 days old. Mama Nicole took him in and was able to nourish him back to health.
 -We said our goodbyes at the orphanage and took Junior and Wenkie back to the hotel with us.  They were both very excited to be with us and when we arrived they seemed to know exactly why they were there.  We immediately went to dinner at the hotel and the kids ate like they have never eaten a meal before in their lives.  They ate every morsel of their rice and beans, some of Barry's french fries, my spaghetti, and all the bread on the table.  Their bellies almost burst!  Literally.
-I was concerned about Junior going to sleep the first night in a strange place, but he layed his precious little head on my shoulder and I sang Away in the Manger.  It didn't take him long and he fell asleep.  I was able to sleep next to him and throughout the night, he would reach over and feel for me to make sure I was still there. About 3:00 am, the rooster started to crow.  Junior woke up and whispered mama and reached for me.  I snuggled with him as he fell back to sleep.  There is nothing more precious than a sleeping child, especially, your own child.  I will never forget that first night with my son!

No comments:

Post a Comment